This is where I come to roost.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Taos Yum

The subject title was the name of a dessert at a local restaurant here in Taos.

For the record, I love food. Not just like everyone else does. Casey often makes fun of my "tasting face." I love trying the local specialties. (i've gotten green chilies on as many things as possible here in New Mexico...you can get them at Subway) I like craft beers, artisan wines, even home-made sodas. Pizzas, sausages...whatever, if its local, if its unique, i wanna try it and pretend I'm Anthony Bourdain.

At any rate, we ate at a place called Taos Pizza Out Back. On my half of our medium was pepproni, capicolo, green chilies, and smoked cheddar (along with the mozarella) Casey tried mushrooms, artichoke hearts with basil pesto sauce, rather than traditional.

The pizza was excellent. The crust was a sesame seed style, which was interesting and delicious. But, the real exciting thing was the salad. Anybody who knows me, knows that its really interesting thing for me to love a salad.

More background: I used to hate salad, and despise lettuce. As a sidenote, I used to also gag when looking at onions. I've been forcing myself to get over these sort of foibles as I get more and more into food, cooking, and chefery. (It's my new word, get over it.) This salad had a house basil parmasean dressing and was one of the tastiest things I've ever had. I'll go back and get another salad. A bigger salad.

I apologize for that part. I really don't know if anyone would find that interesting.

Taos has been, in 2 days, our best residency thus far. We have yet to be this far ahead of schedule. This show will feature the most talented cast thus far, easily. Take for example the young man playing the title role. He has Tuesday off, because, in truth, his role is not the largest, though its the title role, and he learns most if not all of his stuff in one session on Monday. He was very concerned with the fact that he was the title role and not called on Tuesday, so much so that Casey came up with a wonderful gem. "Tuesday is your memorization day, because your the title role and you have so much responsibility that you need to take a day to work on everything at home." A fabulous ruse, IMO, and one that isn't entirely untrue.

It apparently backfired on her though, because our actor and his mother walked into our second session today. He claimed he wanted to watch the Assistant Director go through his part, because while running through his stuff at home, he realized he'd forgotten part of his blocking. Luckily, the kids move so fast that we were ahead of schedule, so I just plugged him into a couple of the few things he hadn't done yet. We're VERY ahead of schedule. One of the CEO's advice points when he came was "I'd rather you let them out 5 min. late than 5 min. early. In fact, I'd rather 5 min. late that on time." Its been a struggle to fill up those last minutes so far.

Another addition I have to tell any other TADs that might read this (though I think, Emma is the only one.) We might possibly have the best freckle ever this week. Our two Knights sing a weird song in the show that is supposed to be a bit of a spoof glam rock and roll scene, as they end in full on rock-star mode along with the minstrel at the end of the song. Today during Lunch, one of the Knights was jamming with the other kids on his electric guitar hooked up to a mini-amp. Naturally, we were excited to ask if he wanted to play it in the show during the scene. Comic gold will ensue as he one ups me and my tiny guitar, so what if its totally anachronistic? And, as it turns out, the other knight has and plays an electric guitar as well, they were choreographing their big finish with some extra time today.

This week, literally, rocks.

3 comments:

  1. well, looks like you have to learn to shred, fast.
    or humiliate the kids on stage some other way. NEVER LET THEM WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, "evil" is the first name.
    petting the middle.
    zoo the third.

    brandon the fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous14:28

    Jake! I am going to be in Taos today!

    For everyone else, the green chilies: not an exaggeration. They are in everything.

    -Kelli

    ReplyDelete