This is where I come to roost.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Red or Green?

I prefer Christmas.

Back in Loveland, whenever the company CEO visited. He said "something may be fundamentally wrong with your discipline. Mainly, because no matter how bright our kids are, we can't get them to shut up. It was the same issue this week. We just can't get them to be quiet backstage. I hope we find the magic trick we need to find to accomplish this better soon.

Other than the chatter from backstage being too loud at times...and don't get me wrong, this wasn't the EASIEST group to get quiet. For as much as I gushed about the older group at the beginning of the week, the younger half was the opposite. For example, our middle-aged children had been a healthy mix of genders. This week there was 9 boys, 9-11 years old mostly. And the most Tomboyish of Tomboy girls. (So much so that the younger girls would object loudly when she changed in their dressing room.) They were by far the rowdiest group, and I have been my most stern this week. When I asked "Are you embarrassed? Because I am." I felt so Adult. Sort of made me ill.

Anyway, this afternoon's show was good, with a rough patch here and there. One of which was completely my fault, and I felt terrible. I have a hard time separating "director" and "actor" - the pianist had hit an improper button which caused all the songs to be playing in a higher key. And of course she didn't notice. She was a handful.

Speaking of ill. Casey and I were both ill this week. Her, early in the week, and me currently, today, and right now. We're hoping its not something as contagious as strep. But its definitely a throat-attacking whatever-it-is. I sounded very interesting by the end of the two performances today.

Here's a couple good stories from today. One of the bees ended up pissing himself waiting to turn his costume in. The mom proceeded to get angry at Casey for it. M'amm, if you feel your child responsible enough to send him to rehearsal with two people in their early 20s everyday for a week, then he should be smart enough to hold it, pinch it off, or get to a john. Thank you.

After the show, Casey and I went to a store to supply what has become an after-show day cocktail tradition. I bought a package of 4 Bailey's minis and some milk and coke so we could drink some white russians. (with a splash of coke...colorado style) I was of course carded, which they seem much more strict about in these areas. My driver's license has a crack in it...has had it for some time. The lady was hesitant, because there was "physical damage near my picture." My picture is obviously me. Obviously. You could put a huge cracking crack down the nose of this picture, and you could see it was me. The crack is through my hair. I said, without any intent to incite a confrontation. "It's only a crack. No one's ever had a problem with it before." Her response was "No, I can refuse you service if I choose to."

I was a little bit shocked to receive such an aggressive response from her. I believe she must lead a very boring life, to be so excited to jump into such a trivial confrontation. I very nicely say "I'm well aware within your rights, I wasn't implying you weren't." She made me show her my social security card, before selling me the $11.00 pack of 4 Bailey's minis.

As I signed my receipt, she muttered under her breath. "but you do need to get a new id, as quickly as possible."

You need to find a new personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment