This is where I come to roost.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

"Yes, I Do"

As we've been stationed here in the southwest, I've been given a much better experience with the immigration "issue" in this country. Literally, I haven't gone a day since crossing into Wyoming without hearing Spanish. Being an at least politically interested person, I have an opinion on things like that.

I'm really really glad that these people are coming here, and finding ways to provide for themselves and their families in a situation that is better than their home. I just wish their kids would learn English, so they can function better here as they grow older...

And today, I finally realized...those kids probably can speak English. Probably better than me...their mother just can't. Today during our Improv workshop (which I may talk about later, making this a long post) we were doing an exercise called "radio" in which people who were selected had to say something that might be on a radio station(an altogether vague description, my apologies.) The point, one of the girls who is playing a lead role in our show was called upon and began rattling off fluent Spanish for her station.

She probably comes from an entirely Spanish-speaking home...but she communicates with me fine, reads her script fine, says her lines...fine. (I overuse ellipses.) (And parentheses.) The girl playing the same role last week was in the same boat too. There's a good chance that many, if not all of our future actresses in those roles will be the same way. I like that. Alot. I'm glad they've found themselves here.

Company CEO did show up today, and talked to us after our rehearsal...we passed with flying colors! (YAY!) He thought it was our second week alone, rather than our first, and was even more pleased when he realized it. He wasn't without a host of helpful tips, but was altogether pleased with our work. That made us feel good. I enjoy his company a lot. To be 22, just out of college, and have a job in which I enjoy my work, my co-workers, and my bosses...I consider myself very lucky.

One important thing he said, as he was giving us notes he asks me, "Have you directed before?" "Yes, I've directed alot, actually." "I thought so."

It felt very good to have done work where that was recognized by a theatre professional, one whom I've quickly grown to respect very much. It makes me thankful for my college time, and the learning I received there. I'm glad that I've developed a skill set that puts me at an advantage...a recognizable advantage with this job. I wasn't always the happiest with my life at College, and still have a hard time giving everything there a glowing review, but I am grateful for the way it shaped me. Thankful, that those marks can be recognized.

The improv workshop: So, it was not long into my senior year before I realized that after all the theatre I've done, it was Improv that provided me everything about theatre I loved the most: the chance to teach, the chance to perform, the chance to make people laugh, and the chance to cherish your partners in art, simultaneously. The dreams of my future began to revolve around a life in Chicago, taking classes, performing, and hopefully eventually teaching there...in both improvization and the formal theatre. As I graduated and performed my last show with my beloved EPZ (campus improv group) I was sad that I'd hang up my improv hat for a while. Then I got to training and found out an Improv Workshop is part of our many offerings to the communities we visit.

We did our first today, with some wonderful kids, and had a great time. It felt electric and wonderful as always, and I LOVED offering it to our students. What a great feeling.

As I finish this, it makes me think that I hope anyone who reads this can find a way to be as happy with the ways of their life right now as I am. I feel like I'm almost rubbing it people's face. I'm sorry if I am.

Here's to you, my good friends. Hope all is well.

Also, comments are encouraged. I'd love to hear from anyone who checks up on me.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous09:34

    Hey Jake! I'm so glad to hear that you're having such a good time, and that you're able to do improv. It's great to know that you're doing what you love; why do it otherwise, hey?

    (Sorry I'm not leaving my real name for you; it's a tad unique and I try not to use it online very often. Suffice it to say that I was in your cast for "Naomi in the Living Room" as the daughter-in-law--does that help?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know i read your blog jake. and i am so happy that Mr. CEO was happy with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear things are going well. I myself prefer the bilingual girls...because two tongues are better than one, know'msayin'?

    ReplyDelete