This is where I come to roost.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In Colorado, there is a land of love.

Casey was talking to me earlier about how something about this group of kids felt distant to her. I wonder if that's the way all the others will be, and there will always be something special about our first week kids.

I know right now that when I think of the parts in the play, I picture my kids from last week, not this week. Maybe future weeks will feel more like this, but they'll always be a special place for those week 1 kids. I kind of like that. They were our first group, and deserve such special attention.

This week's group is WAY ahead of schedule. Our King had his lines memorized...and not just memorized. Lots of kids memorize their lines on the second day. But he memorized his cues, his lines (word perfect) and even knows where we are when I say a page number. And its his first show for the company. On top of that, he's awesome in the part. I mean...damn.

The CEO of the company may be showing up tomorrow, according to our contact the last time he came he popped in on Wednesday. So, we'll see. I'm really proud of the group this week already, so I'm quite glad this is the week he's coming to check us out.

We ate dinner at our contact's house this evening, she made homemade sausage, and marinated vegetables all on the grill with some Orzo rice. We talked movies, politics, education, and top chef. She's a great lady, with a wonderful family. She's one of those college elitist type liberals (her kids go to "core knowledge" schools, she hates reality tv (though watches top chef...as an exception) and prefers movies she can discuss after viewing, I'm annoyed when people my age act that way, but found her fascinating to talk to.

Her oldest son...we'll all hear from him some day. He's entering seventh grade, and spoke to us about how he feels that games like everquest and other such things that deal with magical realms are welcoming those realms to free reign on earth, in our humanity. Which he believes exists on the second of five dimensions, the first of which being the great Olympus. Another of which being Hel...not Hell...Hel - a land of cold suffering, ruled by Hades' daughter.

I didn't make any of that up.

2 comments:

  1. kids in Colorado I tell ya, they're thinkers. well, at least those close to Denver.

    I wonder if Mr. CEO is gonna drift this way after he's through with you...well, he would see that Sam and I uh, adapt creatively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous19:20

    I love this post. I'm glad those kids had an impact on you, and you on those kids.

    ReplyDelete