This is where I come to roost.

Monday, August 4, 2008

It wasn't the kids that bothered me this week, it was just all the scenarios.

Well, I was just thinking a couple weeks ago how Casey and I had gotten lucky without our share of problems: cushy hotel rooms every week, without a single home stay, the whole summer - good kids, not a single small cast...only one cast all even....I was thinking about how unfair it was that we were getting all these great residencies. After reading about other people's adventures, like Sam and Emma's in Oklahoma.

Well, things still aren't mice in my room bad. They probably won't be...but damn if things haven't been aggravating the last week/today.

So, our military base's contact was new to being a contact, and new to the base...the lady who was supposed to be our contact, and had been a contact before got promoted shortly before our arrival.

We did 11 workshops. One day we did 3 of them in 2 hours. They last 45 minutes each. Figure that out. On show day, the kids had to leave for their snack break. Those snack breaks on show day last 15 minutes. They took an hour. Then they opened the house without checking with us first and audience was flooding in as we were putting the kids make-up on on stage. Plus, they lost our mail. But the show went well, and what people were there (perhaps I'll get a chance to talk about the weird relationships military base kids have with their parents later)seemed very proud of what they saw.

But, no worries. Next week was Austin, TX. Downtown at the Paramount theatre. A huge town, with lots to do, lots to see...the Radisson hotel. The Radisson! Awesome. I can't wait.

Then we get here. They have our reservation. They don't have a credit card for it. I call our contact. He has nothing to do with our reservation...its another lady. I have her number. Oh wait. Its a fax machine. Next number. Work number. I could've guessed. I'll call our contact back..he's a cool guy. Whoops. Phone dies. Battery rained after a day of GPS usage. As I grow angrier and angrier I pull out my debit card, and lay it on the counter. "Charge 1 room to my card tonight, we'll get it straightened out tomorrow."

The bellhop gets our luggage as I park the truck and go up the elevator thinking about how much I love that $190 bucks of mine will be locked up until Thursday...even after they transfer the room charges to the theater's account. I think about how wonderful a week it is for such a thing to happen, with my having to buy my plane tickets home, and hotel for check-in this week.

But at least I'm in a REALLY nice hotel. A bellhop with my luggage, a fish-tank littered lobby with access to TGI Friday's and Starbucks at either side. "The room is to your left." I think the cielings are awfully low. I open the room...hmm, sort of small. The smallest room we've been in so far in fact. Well at least we read that the bed's were sleep number beds...those'll be comfortable. Wait, no controls for the fancy beds. Call the desk. "We do have some rooms that don't have sleep number beds, and your room is one of those." Oh well...I like my mattresses on the firmer side anyway. Now, I'll just get on the internet for a while and....$9.95 a day for in-room internet access? I have to make sure of this. Let's look in the book...no free breakfast, free wifi if I want to sit in the lobby. I guess the fish may need to check their e-mail.

Pfft. Forgive my tenses. And, honestly? Anything that happened here is pretty small fish. Who am I to be dissapointed? What sort of luxury do I expect? Its really not all that bad. What makes me the most upset is the fact that there was a reservation made...but no credit card with the reservation. Originally I thought "The lady that made this reservation was either doing something really stupid, or something really shady." Later as I cooled down slowly, I thought well, hotels actually make a lot of mistakes. I hope when I pressure to also pay for the Internet access in our room, she'll oblige..considering the complications this whole thing has caused.

And as far as this hotel goes...apparently you're paying for the glass elevator and the fish in the lobby...this room is the smallest we've had so far, with the fewest amenities...cheap coffee...no fridge...no extras in the bathroom. Keep in mind, I don't really require or care about all of these sorts of things...but this is also the most expensive hotel we've stayed at so far. So if you travel alot. Just remember that.

1 comment:

  1. i can't believe you guys have had NO homestays! We have LOVED all of our homestays, though we're happy to be a hotel this week.

    and i hate to say this but, our rooms are amazing. and we do have internet via ethernet in our rooms.

    i cannot believe that you guys had to 11 workshops!! as i said, 3 in more than enough for me!

    so jealous that you've only had one cast all. we've only had one week where we got to cut people. and this week we have 70 kids. yup.

    ReplyDelete