This is where I come to roost.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tragedy at Pike Central, again.

I heard the news today that one of my teachers in high school, Marty Deputy, was found dead this morning in his home, of self-inflicted hanging.

His first year teaching at school was my senior year, when I took him in a biblical literature course. I enjoyed having him as a teacher, and thought he was generally a pretty good guy. He left PC the next year to be the head wrestling coach at Jasper, before coming back to PC the year after that to be the head football coach at PC.

Its sort of incredible to me the cycle of tragedy that Pike Central goes through so often. Maybe other places go through the same sort of cyclical line of events and I only am informed about my own, but it is truly sad. Pike Central will keep going though, becoming a stronger school afterwards. I remember when a young man committed suicide my Senior Year and the struggles and sadness everyone went through afterward, but PC really came out of it improved in many ways.

Rest in Peace, Coach.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I wasn't around for the suicide (or know that person) or to meet this teacher. I guess my stay at PC was quite tragedy free. Lucky me.

    ReplyDelete